Mrs. Breithaupt's Syllabi for Biology and Advanced Biology
Course Name: Advanced Biology Honors and Biology
E-mail (use for google docs): email@example.com
Text: Holt Modern Biology (Adv. Bio) and Glencoe Science Biology (Bio)
Schedule: 2nd, 3rd, 4th (Bio), 5th study hall, 7th & 8th Adv Bio (First Semester 2016)
1st, 6th and 8th Bio; 2nd study hall; 3rd & 4th Adv Bio (Second Semester 2017)
Planning Period: 6th lunch, 1st plan (First Semester 2016)
5th lunch, 7th plan (Second Semester 2017)
Course Description: Advanced Biology Honors is senior level course for those students wanting to major in a life science college curriculum and career. In this class, we follow up on the concepts and principles studied in the freshman year Biology courses. We especially study evolution, the unifying theme of all Biology. Following a unit on Classification, an in-depth study in microbiology is begun. Students come to understand the significance of viruses and bacteria especially. Students become competent in the use of the light compound microscope and stereomicroscope during these studies. Relationships to science, society, and technology are emphasized during this year of study.
Biology is a course designed mainly for freshman. The demands, although challenging, are not as intense or require as much independent initiative as the Honors Biology. Students are required to keep an up-to-date science folder, complete regular homework assignments, and participate in laboratory activities. Chapter tests are completed at the end of each chapter and two semester exams are required. Biology is also open to upper classmen to either makeup a science credit or for college requirements. Among the topics covered are Intro to Biology, Microscopes, Cells, Heredity, DNA, Photosynthesis, Respiration, Mitosis, Meiosis, and Protein Synthesis.
Grading Information: Grades are based on a straight percentage of the points possible for the quarter. Students earn points on quizzes, exams, lab reports, homework assignments, and extra credit. Homework will be accepted ONE day late for 50% off (anything after that is a zero). STUDENTS WILL NOT BE REMINDED TO TURN IN LATE ASSIGNMENTS!!
Make-up Assignment Procedure: Make-ups are a student’s responsibility. If an assignment was collected on the day of an absence, a zero will be placed in Skyward. Students are expected to make up work according to the student handbook. Make-up handouts will be located in the back of the classroom. Students are expected to get the assignment graded and turned into the bin at the front of the room with either “late” or “ex. Abs” (excused absence) written on the front with a grading pen. If a test or quiz is scheduled for the next day, students will still be expected to take the quiz or test unless new material was presented on the day of absence. Students are expected to check Skyward on a regular basis (i.e. weekly)!
After-school Help Procedures: Students are encouraged to seek help if they need it. Should they require additional help, make an appointment with Mrs. Breithaupt.
Classroom Expectations and Discipline Plan THE FOLLOWING EXPECTATIONS ARE ESSENTIAL TO A POSTIVE AND PRODUCTIVE LEARNING ENVIRONMENT. YOU ARE TO KEEP THESE EXPECTATIONS WITH YOUR SCIENCE FOLDER AT ALL TIMES FOR EASY REFERENCE.
1. BE PREPARED FOR CLASS.
2. RAISE YOUR HAND AND BE RECOGNIZED BY MRS. BREITHAUPT, BEFORE SPEAKING.
3. MUST BE IN SEAT WHEN THE BELL FINISHES RINGING. After four tardies a referral will be given, and another for every two after that. Parents will also be contacted.
4. BE ATTENTIVE AND FOLLOW DIRECTIONS.
5. SHOW RESPECT TO YOURSELF AS WELL AS OTHERS AT ALL TIMES. This implies good manners and the use of common sense.
6. ALL CELL PHONES WILL BE REQUIRED TO BE TURNED OFF/SILENCED AND PLACED ON DESK SCREEN SIDE DOWN!! If a phone goes off on your desk, it will be confiscated. If a phone goes off in a pocket/pencil pouch etc., it will be confiscated and a referral will be written.
THE FOLLOWING WILL BE THE RESULT OF YOUR CHOICES AND ACTIONS TO THE PRECEEDING EXPECTATIONS. THERE ARE BOTH POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE RESULTS. YOUR CHOICES ARE CUMULATIVE ON A SEMESTER BASIS.
* No rules broken: REWARD: 4 x 6 note card on final exam NO CONSEQUENCES
* 1st verbal warning: REWARD: 4 x 6 note card on final exam NO CONSEQUENCES
* 2nd verbal warning: REWARD: 3 x 5 note card on final exam CONSEQUENCE: 15 minute school detention and lose the bigger note card
* 3rd verbal warning: REWARD: Half of a 3 x 5 note card on final exam. CONSEQUENCE: 30 minute school detention, and a call to your parents
* 4th verbal warning: REWARD: None CONSEQUENCE: class eviction with a referral
SEVERE CLAUSE: Automatic class eviction! Examples – Under the influence of drugs or alcohol, fighting, profanity, refusing a teacher request, throwing objects, vandalism or any behavior, which stops learning in the classroom. You will also advance one place on the discipline plan.
Biology and Advanced Biology students will need the following
Sharpened pencils or pens (student choice)
3 ring binder is most useful since all materials will be hole-punched.
Grading pen (red, green, purple, pink, etc.)
one box of Kleenex or Germ-X
Biology will also need: